Tuesday, August 25, 2009

How We Got Here...

Last night I brought up the fact that it is important to discuss how it is the police and fire pension fund got to where it is right now.

As I still believe it is important, I do want to recognize that in one night more insight and reason was given to that question than has been given in such a public manner since this issue has become 'the issue'.

Councilwoman Rushefsky and Mayor O'Neal - in their remarks concerning the tax initiative - discussed the problem in the formation of the fund to begin with, as well as the several times the city has procrastinated in addressing the problem over the decades.

In my mind, that is a much better answer than "it was the markets and the $10 million that we didn't contribute over the past decade".

I hope that discussion continues.

No comments: